German GP still uncertain


March 29, 2015
Featured, News
Alexander S


Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said that the doors are opened for German Grand Prix organisers even if this year’s race looks doomed.

“In this moment I still don’t know anything. There is no contract with Hockenheim, even an agreement. Originally they were going to support it with somebody to help them with the finance, but it didn’t happen. We will wait for another few days to see what’s happening“, the 84-years-old Briton said.

Previously, Ecclestone said thaht decision about German GP would be made a week before the opening race in Australia. He also confirmed that Hockenheim was only option for the race on 19th of July despite it being Nuerburgring’s turn to host it under an alternation agreement. Ecclestone added that German GP, which has been on the calendar since 1960, can’t be  replaced with another race if cancelled.

Hockenheim put on last year’s GP and is also due to host it in 2016, but the circuit has made heavy losses due to poor attendances and is unwilling to do it again three years in a row. The Nuerburgring, one of the sport’s most historic venues, also has financial troubles and has changed ownership since it last appeared on the calendar.

“It is bad for Germany, bad for Mercedes, bad for everybody if the organisers cannot get it going”, Mercedes GP non-executive chairman Niki Lauda said last month, while team’s head Toto Wolff added:

“As far as we able to, we will try to help, It is important race for us, even it is not our area to intervene in the talks between rights holder and promoter“.

Related Posts