What To Do If You Are Injured By A Street Racer
Street racing is a dangerous activity that increases the risk of a catastrophic accident if the vehicle is out of control. In such events, the driver and passengers in the racing vehicles may suffer severe injuries. Also, pedestrians, bystanders, drivers, and passengers in other cars may become accident victims. Therefore, here is what to do if a street racer injures you:
- Contact A Personal Injury Lawyer
An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you determine the at-fault party in a street racing accident. Notably, every case has unique facts. For example, the street racing driver may have directly caused the accident due to recklessness or collided with another vehicle that, in turn, caused the crash. Therefore, with a comprehensive evaluation of all events, your attorney can establish liability and assist you in filing an injury claim or lawsuit to ensure fair compensation.
Generally, a personal injury lawyer can help you with the following:
- Gather all relevant evidence to substantiate your personal injury claim.
- Speak to the insurance company on your behalf. Since the insurance company may use any information you provide against you, let your attorney handle this.
Below are the forms of compensation your lawyer can help you pursue:
- The cost of current and future medical expenses. They include consultation fees, physical therapy costs, surgery expenses, and medical prescriptions.
- Lost wages or salary due to lost earning capacity. Depending on your condition, the doctor may advise you to stop working for a specific period so you can nurse your injuries, especially if you suffered severe injuries. For instance, spinal cord or brain injuries may lead to long-term or permanent disabilities. In that case, a lawyer can look out for your best interest by properly valuing your claim to include compensation for lost wages.
- Pain and suffering or emotional distress due to a traumatic accident
- Replacement or repair of a damaged individual property
In light of that, you’d want to partner with reputable law firms such as Loewy for an experienced Austin car accident lawyer. The professionals can help you protect your legal rights to fair compensation.
- See A Doctor For Medical Examination And Treatment
The injuries you could suffer in a street racing accident differ depending on the impact sustained. They may include burns and injuries to the soft tissue, head, neck, back, brain, and spinal cord. Therefore, you should go to the hospital immediately for a complete medical assessment and treatment. While at it, inform the medical professionals of all your symptoms, including minor fractures.
A detailed report of your medical treatment, including bills and receipts, serves as evidence that you suffered personal injuries during the accident. This presents a solid case to pursue proper compensation for your damages. Notably, a lack of proof of medical treatment may weaken your case. For instance, the insurance company may argue that you obtained the injuries from a subsequent event and deny your claim.
- Gather Evidence
You can gather evidence at the accident scene to help build your case if it’s safe. Remember that there could be many changes between the time of the accident to when the police arrive. Therefore, if you can, it’s crucial to act promptly. You can take pictures and videos of the following from various angles:
- Damage to the vehicles involved in the crash
- Traffic signs or symbols such as the stop sign
- The road conditions at the site
- Debris from the collision
- Visible bodily injuries
- Any property damaged at the scene
Also, eyewitnesses who may have seen the incident can testify on your behalf. Their statements can help validate your claims and confirm the at-fault party. Therefore, it’s essential to get their identification and contact details.
- Report The Accident To The Police
Reporting the street racing accident to the police creates an official record that can back up your claim. As part of the investigation, the police will prepare a comprehensive evaluation report of the collision, which can help you establish damages when filing a personal injury claim.
Also, inform the police if the driver fled the accident scene, including all the details you can remember about the car, such as the license plate number. The police will launch investigations to identify the driver. For example, they can review the footage of the street racing accident obtained from surveillance systems or video cameras near the scene.
Street racers can be held liable for injuries or damages they cause to third parties while racing. Therefore, if you’re involved in a street racing accident, the above are guidelines to consider to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. Also, it’s best to work with a personal injury attorney to assist you with all the legal aspects of your accident claim. Most importantly, your health should be your top priority. So, it’s vital to get checked out by a doctor immediately.