Vandoorne fastest in post-season test
Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi just two days after Formula 1 Grand Prix was again full of cars which took a part in 12-hour tyre test.
All 10 teams competing in Formula 1 were the part of the longest test in sport’s history, organized by Pirelli. Italian manufacturer is working on development of compounds for next season and was satisfied with an outcome of this unusual session as neither drivers, nor the teams knew which tyre specification they were testing.
Pirelli set the focus on new ultrasoft compounds which is mainly designed as choice for street circuits and with an aim to allow the teams to take a more aggressive approach to race strategy.
Interestingly, fastest lap time set McLaren’s third driver and GP2 champion Stoffel Vandoorne, in new Honda powered car, who drove total of 99 laps. Only DTM champion Pascal Wehrlein in Mercedes and Valtteri Bottas in Williams had more laps – 107 and 103.
1. Stoffel Vandoorne (McLaren) 1:44.103
2. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 1:44.456
3. Marcus Ericsson (Sauber) 1:44.480
4. Jolyon Palmer (Lotus) 1:44.568
5. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) 1:44.940
6. Pascal Wehrlein (Mercedes) 1:45.605
7. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) 1:45.805
8. Max Verstappen (Toro Rosso) 1:45.849
9. Nico Hulkenberg (Force India) 1:45.852
10. Valtteri Bottas (Williams) 1:45.940
11. Daniil Kvyat (Red Bull) 1:46.309
12. Carlos Sainz (Toro Rosso) 1:46.995
13. Adderly Fong (Sauber) 1:48.439
14. Alfonso Celis (Force India) 1:48.545
15. Rio Haryanto (Manor) 1:49.593
16. Jordan King (Manor) 1:49.661